Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The 8/12 Gut Buster

Last week Kris posted a blog entry about what I am calling the 8/12 exercise system.
This week I started trying it out, I started on Monday with 15 minutes on the stationary bike and while it certainly made me sweat more, it felt like time went faster as I was focussed on keeping to the 8 seconds intense and then 12 seconds reduced exercise.
On Tuesday I used it while I did my normal run along the beach, this I really felt. Normally I jog along the beach at a reasonable pace. On an intensity scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is sleeping and 10 is throwing up, I normally jog along at a 7 or 8. Using the 8/12 technique on the beach on Tuesday I felt like I got to a 9.9, no throwing up but it was a close thing.
I think this must work, it certainly makes me work harder, and that has got to be a good thing.

What do you do to keep fit?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Short answer...

Not enough!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, same story - not enough. :)
Trying to do gym sessions 3 times a week, but have about 1-2 :)
Tennis and bike are both good, because they are outdoors and fun, but I need sport 7 days a week; not enough time for it :) Dr Neil, any thoughts on time management?

Dr. Neil said...

I think it depends what you really want and how you prioritize your life. I want to stay fit and healthy so I can enjoy my life to the full, to me this is the most important thing. As long as I am healthy I can find the energy to overcome any challenge.
If you want something enough you will find the time to achieve the steps towards that goal.
The real question is how much do you value your health?

Gabriel Gonzalez said...

Yeah I try to reach the top of the underground's stair as fast as possible each day heh

I leave home at 7.45 and come back at 7.30 I barely have time to do some exercise... but I know I have to change something about it :)

Anonymous said...

Neil, it's a good point. There is a Russian saying - those who WANT, look for opportunities, those who DON'T look for excuses.
But having said that, there are obvious consequences of having a full-time job, deadline at work, family and personal life - all these things together don't fit nicely always, for me, at least :) But I know people who have it all balanced and I'm envious :)
I guess, time management is important too.