Sunday, August 22, 2004

What I've been reading on the plane

All this traveling means I am getting a lot of reading done.
I thought it was time to provide an update.



An interesting read, it is hard to rate a book like this. Paul Graham has brought together a collection of essays. The main points in the book could probably be put into 2 chapters. I liked the style of the writing and although I don't agree with everything the author states, there are lessons to be learnt from this book.

I give it 7 out of 10.

This book is much more technical. Aimed at the computer programmer. A number of topics are covered that help coders become better developers. The idea being that to develop and ship software requires more than just the abilty to write code. I agree with this. Each chapter could be read on its own and covers one topic.
I give this book an 8 out of 10. Programmers will become better at shipping software if they follow Mike's ideas.
In order to get a 10 Mike should have provided more hands on examples. In the book he discusses a project that he is building but I didnt feel connected with that project and the code snippets felt disjointed.

A bit of light reading. I liked this book a lot. A good read, interesting characters and a story full of puzzles to solve. Recommended reading, but don't take it too seriously! It appears that there are now a collection of books exposing the 'truth' behind this book. It's fiction! Get with the program and enjoy the story.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any details about your upcoming book on XP and .NET?

ekinated -at- hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

We had been blogging trying to find how our world sees computers and PCs. Computer has been a lifeline for us. Your site provides some of the best examples of this sort and we will bookmark yours. Another one we found was and appears to be related to yours is desktop computer site/blog. It pretty much covers desktop computer related stuff.